Saturday, July 25, 2026

 Good summary of things happening in India from Democracy Now!.

 

I watch Arun to find out what's happening in more detail (the India Education Minister just resigned), but I have to admit at times, the larger consequences go completely over my head because I think I'm missing decades of context and minutia regarding the history of the political parties. The people I work for are from Kerala, the most left-leaning part of the country. They've only ever talked about Indian politics in a general way.  They're more worried about this country coming for them, their children, and their grandchild for being brown than what's happening over there.  It's always good to learn more from different perspectives, because this is all tied to the same global struggle.  Especially if they start bringing that shit over here to harass Indians and Indian-Americans (or anyone from South Asia because you know the dumb fascists in this country don't know or care about the differences in the TWO BILLION people from the region, which is 6X the population of the US, btw).

I love that Democracy Now! is considered mainstream "leftist" journalism.  It is the just "the news", there is no other trustworthy, reliable and easily accessible major daily media outlet in the US.  I am old enough to remember when no one knew what it was or wanted to give it any respect if they did.  By just existing and doing what it's been doing for three decades it makes the corporate and legacy media look like the National Enquirer and TMZ.There are plenty of opinion and analysis outlets, some of which I love.  But DN! is just straight up journalism.  I hope more people/outlets try a more structured live schedule, I think Drop Site is trying to start doing that. It's the only way we get the other gen Xers and the leftist Boomers, they need routine.  It's part of the reason why there are so many boomer libs in the Majority Report community. It's why the right was killing it with internet media up until recently (and ya know, the bots/paid trolls). You have to wonder, where the fuck are the wealthy leftist investors in media?  You know there must a couple out there.  I don't mean a lib, I mean a leftist that was born into money or something.  Why do we not have a real news round the clock network out there that has integrity and doesn't give a shit about appeasing the neo-libs, only telling the ugly truth.  We don't need cable anymore.  What is the fucking hold up?

No comments: